Professor and clinical psychologist, Dr. Leonardo Bobadilla, joined us to discuss examples of narcissism in characters from The Office. We first discussed where the term narcissism came from and what it means to the public, therapists, and researchers. Then, we talked about different aspects of narcissism: pathological vs. adaptive and grandiose vs. vulnerable. Next, we talked about the narcissistic features that Michael Scott, Andy Bernard, and Ryan Howard express in the show, while recalling our favorite scenes and quotes. We concluded with a discussion of the need for more treatment research. We really enjoyed making this episode for you all, and we hope you enjoy listening to it!
For More Information:
- Dr. Leonardo Bobadilla’s faculty webpage & blog
- Previous Jedi Counsel podcast episodes with Dr. Bobadilla on paraphilic disorders and restorative justice
- Jedi Counsel fictional diagnostic reports on Michael Scott, Kelly Kapoor, and Dwight Schrute
- Pathological Narcissism and Narcissistic Personality Disorder by Pincus & Lukowitsky (2010)
- The Narcissism Spectrum Model: A Synthetic View of Narcissistic Personality by Krizan & Herlache (2017)